What To Do If A Ferret Bites
Domesticated ferrets began in the XY century. This small predator attracts with its playful disposition and small size. However, do not forget that the animal has very sharp teeth, which he will certainly use, he will not like something. In order to protect yourself and your household from manifestations of the character of a pet, you need to properly train a ferret and wean you from biting, how to do this, let’s try to figure it out.
Features of the behavior of ferrets
Domestic ferrets (ferrets) are active, mobile animals capable of a wide variety of pranks. By their nature, they are burrowing animals, and even living at home, they often strive to bury themselves somewhere, dig up the earth in pots with home flowers or carefully hide the remains of food under the master’s sofa.
In principle, ferrets are very playful, get along well with cats and dogs and are similar in behavior: they are free to learn to walk in a tray, sleep on their master’s lap and get used to walking on a leash.
The animal lends itself to training and quickly learns skills, although it has a degree of independence, similar to a cat. In addition, nocturnal activity is a characteristic feature for the animal, which is not suitable for every person.
Reasons for aggressive behavior
Like any other animal, ferrets have cases of aggressive behavior in which they can bite someone who will be nearby. Why is this happening and what is a provoking factor:
- A stressful situation, such as moving to a new place, changing environment, the appearance of new people or animals, can provoke outbreaks of aggression in the animal, as a result of which it will begin to bite. Usually in such cases, after a while, the ferret gets used to new conditions, and the behavior normalizes;
- bites as a form of playfulness. This phenomenon is often found in young individuals that have recently appeared in the house. They continue to play with the owner as they did with their brothers in the family, and, as a result, do not always calculate the strength of the bite;
- change of primary teeth to molars. In young puppies aged 1.5 months. teething of molars begins, which usually ends by 2.5 months. Usually this process is accompanied by discomfort in the gum area for the animal, as a result of which the puppy may begin to bite, trying to reduce pain;
- in any flock of predators, a dominant individual is always distinguished, in some cases a pet can be aggressive towards a person in an attempt to defend its position, bites are one way to assert their dominant role in relations with the owner;
- Ferrets are considered low-social animals, so some individuals can be almost wild and very aggressive, they require very serious training and patience.
How to raise a ferret
Contrary to popular belief, ferrets lend themselves very well to training. You need to raise a pet immediately from the moment it appears in your house, while it is important to maintain consistency and not allow the baby to "sit on the head" of the owner.
Rules of education and training
Ferret training is similar to the same process for a dog puppy with the only difference that you may need more patience and endurance:
- in order to teach a ferret the execution of various commands and rules of behavior, it is necessary to conduct systematic daily animal training
- when conducting training, it is desirable that nothing interferes with this process and does not distract the beast. It is better to conduct classes in the same room;
- As a reward for the successful completion of tasks, some special delicacy is suitable, rather than everyday food;
- training should take place in a playful way and should not overwork the pet;
- it is unacceptable to use force when training a ferret, this can provoke retaliatory aggression.
Often, the newly made ferret owners do not know how to find an approach to the pet, and make standard mistakes in its upbringing:
- Aggression, loud cry to the animal. Such behavior is more likely to give the opposite effect than to help raise the animal. Cruelty in raising an animal is unacceptable.
- An attempt to “humanize” a pet. In any pack, there must be a leader, as such for the domestic ferret becomes its owner. Excessive loyalty and permissiveness can lead to a shift in the guidelines of the animal, and it ceases to perceive the owner as an authority.
- An attempt to punish "retroactively." Ferrets, like cats, are not able to assess the time gap between perfect dirty tricks and punishment, so if you punished a pet half an hour after the deed, it is unlikely to bring any result, you need to be punished in hot pursuit.
How to wean a ferret to bite
So, we examined the basics of raising the animal, now we can dwell in more detail on how to teach it not to bite and control the power of the bite. If the animal is healthy and does not experience physical discomfort, the learning process will not entail difficulties:
- the most important thing is to immediately show your pet that bites do not give you pleasure, for this you need to immediately say “no!” or “ah!” loudly and clearly, loudly clap your hands and stop playing;
- after the previous step, you need to make the animal understand that bites are directly related to the cessation of games. The animal can be placed in a cage so that it calms down and remembers this relationship;
- if the ferret continues to bite, we can move on to more radical methods. As soon as the animal bites someone, you need to take it by the scruff of the neck, lift it and slightly shake it, as the young mothers do, while you can make a severe reprimand to the beast. If the pet has not calmed down, you need to put in a cage and give time to calm down;
- Particularly aggressive individuals are encountered, which can only be affected with the help of “heavy artillery”. If the ferret behaves aggressively and continues to bite indiscriminately, you can try to easily click on his nose and after that try to establish communication again, if the animal does not show aggression after that, you must definitely encourage it with a tasty treat, and a repeated bite should be punished by isolation in the cage. In this case, it is important to observe safety precautions and use gloves that the beast cannot bite through;
- Another radical way to wean an animal from biting is to punish the aggressor with a stream of water from the shower. This method is quite unpleasant for the pet and can give the opposite effect, so sometimes to cool the dust it is enough to spray water from the spray gun, and then calm the animal.
In no case should you beat the animal with anything, torture it, throw it as punishment for biting it. Such behavior will further complicate the situation, and you run the risk of getting an evil pet with a deformed psyche. However, the aggressive behavior of a biting ferret should not be dismissed, the owner’s reaction must be immediate so that the animal learns that this cannot be done.
So, we got acquainted with the peculiarities of the behavior of the domestic ferret, learned how best to train him and what to do is undesirable. It is worth noting that even if you got a bite fan, your patience, systematic approach and firmness will surely yield results, and the ferret will become your friend for many years to come.