Ferret At Home
A domestic ferret or ferret is considered the most unusual pet that a person could tame. Nowadays it has become fashionable to keep this miracle at home. But novice owners should know that a ferret requires constant care more than a dog and a cat.
If you decide to have this animal in your home or it has already appeared in your house, read the recommendations and tips for caring for it. This will help to avoid critical errors in the future, since when keeping different types of animals, including the ferret, there are “pluses” and “minuses”.
Pros of keeping a ferret at home
Although a ferret gets used to communicating with people much worse than a dog or cat does, he will never be bored. This is a cheerful and affectionate animal, which until old age remains playful as a puppy. The "advantages" of the ferret at home are the following qualities:
- Due to its compact size, a ferret can be easily transported by transporting it in a small handbag;
- There is no need for daily walks with him, since this must be done when keeping the dog. During walks, she does not resist wearing the harness, as the cat does, easily gets used to it after the second attempt;
- The “plus” of the ferret’s content is that he can adapt to his master’s regime, despite the fact that the ferret is a nocturnal animal. But he does not have such devotion to the owner, which the dog shows;
- Character traits are diverse, which allows the ferret to feel calm in the company of other domestic animals. He is a very smart and cunning animal;
- Unlike a dog, but just like a cat, it defecates in a tray;
- The ferret has a musky smell that resembles a honey. Many people really like him;
- The ferret has wool, which, in contrast to the cat’s coat, very rarely becomes an allergen. This is a very big plus if you keep a ferret in the house where the children live;
- The ferret, which is castrated, is more mobile (such a cat is calmer). The skin loses its musky odor;
- The “pluses” of keeping a ferret at home are that it is much warmer than a cat. In winter, you can walk with him in the courtyard for an hour and two hours, without fear of freezing.
"Cons" of the ferret
A ferret requires more attention than a cat. With its content, large "minuses" appear:
- The first of them is represented by the fact that there are people who are strongly disgusted by the musky smell emitted by the animal, sometimes they simply can not stand it;
- The following feature is inherent in the ferret: when it is very frightened, it activates the proanal gland. It is a means of protecting a small animal, scares off opponents, emitting an unpleasant odor;
- When the owner of the ferret has a mild character, the dominant role passes to the pet. As a result of games and curiosity, the beast harms household items, especially flowers;
- Like a cat, a male polecat marks territory during a rut; a female in very rare cases can get out of heat without any help. All these features are big "cons" when keeping a ferret at home;
- Ferrets are not recommended to give food from the table, they are absolutely not adapted for such food. There are times when a beast dies from such feeding;
- Before deciding to keep such an animal in the house, you need to know that the "minus" in its maintenance is a big drawback of veterinarians who would be specialists in ferret service;
- Ferrets have a love for chewing springy things. They have a passion for garbage cans, gnawing them.
Only after weighing all the "pros" and "cons" can you decide whether such a ferret is needed in the house.
Keeping a ferret at home is not at all difficult. Due to its small size, it, like a cat, can be in a small apartment or in a small house. Ferrets will never chew on the wire or shoes you need. The problem of bad smell is solved by removing the gland.
It is permissible to keep ferrets both in a cage and in a room. They are very clean.
The ferret is especially interesting during walks. In winter, he boldly bury himself in snowdrifts of snow; in summer, his favorite pastime is to ride on the grass and dig minks. When walking for convenience, it is better to take a special bag and a leash, first making sure of its durability.
Ferret in the house: training for the tray
The toilet is a rather difficult problem that occurs during the maintenance of a ferret at home. It needs to be organized in the form of a tray and always with a filler (an empty tray will eat the animal). Due to the rapid metabolism of the ferret, he is able to visit the toilet about a hundred times a day. The conclusion suggests itself that you need to train the beast to the tray immediately after it appears in the apartment. If this is not done, you will have to wash the floors also about 100 times a day.
It’s best to train your puppy in the tray by placing him in a large cage or enclosed corner of the room. You should know that there should be two or three trays. Ferrets have little patience and fast digestion. They will not be able to have time to run to the tray if it is far away.
If a cat defecates in the same toilet, the ferret may ignore it. But a few ferrets are not against having a common tray. Predator has a favorite place where he often spoils – this is the corner of the room. Therefore, you need to look at what territory he has chosen, and put there the purchased corner “toilet”.
At first, you should carefully monitor your pet. Usually he should go to the tray 5-10 minutes after sleep, as well as 15 minutes after eating. At this time, try to show him the direction where to go as needed. Every half hour, you can put your pet in a cage, where he can make his physiological need.
The toilet tray must be kept clean at all times. If there is no filler in it, it should be washed once a day. You need to wash it with hot water without using aromatic detergents. When using a filler, clean the "toilet bowl" for the animal as necessary.
Ferret’s relationship with other pets at home
It is not advisable to acquaint the acquired ferret with other animals that have long lived in the house, and with others like him on the first day. He needs to give time to get comfortable, run in plenty. It is very good if a ferret already lives in the house. It will be easier for a new tenant to get used to and get used to a new place of residence.
If a cat already lives in the apartment, when meeting her with a ferret, you need to allow them to sniff each other, while holding him in their arms. Every day the neighbors will become closer and closer and gradually get used to communication. The cat should feel that she, as before, has remained the favorite of the family. She needs to pay special attention at this time.
The dog, especially large breeds, welcomes the new tenant. Most often, the ferret has a difficult relationship with small dogs. Ferrets try to become leaders among other animals and begin to treat them badly, especially if it is a dog belonging to small breeds.
A dog of hunting breeds sees prey in a ferret, friendship between them is found in rare cases, because it is not possible to eradicate natural instincts. These animals can become friends only if they are brought to the house at the same time as puppies.
If the house has an aquarium, it must be placed at a height where the ferret cannot reach. Small animals are big lovers of fishing. They manage to catch a fish with their head in the water. Such diving leads to the fact that the polecat can drown. The aquarium is best kept closed.
It is not advisable to keep ferrets in the same room with guinea pigs and other rodents, as well as with birds. In natural conditions, they are his welcome trophies. So one should not take risks, such cohabitation often ends tragically for rodents and birds. It is recommended to move the cage with birds and rodents to a room where the ferret’s entrance is not available.
What to feed?
If a ferret still appears in the house, the owner needs to know what to feed him with. You can feed a ferret with a special dry food, which is also suitable for feeding a cat. No more animal feed is recommended.
For the ferret to grow healthy and strong, food for it should be only premium or professional groups. Food on the packaging of which means “economy” or “medium” should not be purchased. Dry food is preferable, as it removes tartar.
Do not allow the mixing of finished feed with homemade food, this leads to the occurrence of urolithiasis. Food should always be in a bowl so that the ferret can eat at any time. You need to constantly change it to a new fresh serving. A bowl of clean water should be near the food bowl.
When developing the ferret menu with natural nutrition, one must take into account the fact that it belongs to predators. This means that meat and offal must be in the diet, sometimes fish and eggs. With this method, the ferret should be fed twice a day. Plant foods in the diet should be only 2%.
Chicken eggs are only allowed to be boiled. Quail eggs must be given whole. A tidbit of cheese or a little cottage cheese will never hurt a pet. With a natural form of nutrition, vitamin supplements are mandatory. Especially they need to be included in the diet during molting or active growth of the animal, as well as during pregnancy.
Without proper care, the ferret will not be able to please the people around him with his attractiveness and health. Caring for him is not very difficult. You need to know a very important feature of the animal. During molting, he, like a cat and a cat, preens, licking his hair. Once in the stomach, these hairs can clog it and lead to unpredictable consequences. Therefore, wool should be combed out during this period. You can give the animal a special paste, which helps to remove wool.
Bathing a ferret is enough once or twice a month, but this is not necessary. The animal loves to swim, sometimes he even tries to dive. So the best place to wash your pet is a bath. Pour a small amount of water into the bath. In the middle, be sure to make an “island” by turning a small bucket or basin. The animal will be able to climb on it and relax.
After the water procedure, the ferret should be wiped with a rag or towel. Remember that a small animal, like a cat, has a habit of wiping on its own. It is necessary to provide such an opportunity for him. Place it in a large box, laying two or three soft towels in it. Watch that he did not jump out, furiously somersaulting in the bedcloths. After the wiping is finished, having dried out a little, the ferret himself will put his fur in order, licking it.
The main condition is that during water procedures the room should be quite warm. You must also remember that a wet animal reacts negatively to drafts.
Ears should be cleaned no more than once a month, because the ferret independently monitors their cleanliness. It is better to do this procedure after swimming. If brown earwax is visible, it should be carefully removed with a cotton swab. It is not advisable to penetrate deep into the ears; you can damage the eardrum.
Now there are many different ferret care products:
- Deodorants, smoothing the smell of the animal;
- Special means that can destroy odors made on an enzymatic basis;
- Ferret coat shampoos;
- To correct the behavior of special tools.
If the ferret is not given the opportunity to grind off the claws, as the dog does, they need to be cut once a month, especially for the claws on the front legs. This procedure should be carried out with nail clippers or nail clippers, which do care for the cat’s legs. Try to do everything with great care. It is better to move the care of the paws to the time when the "fluffy" falls asleep.
If you decide to have a ferret at home, you need to pay attention to his health with all responsibility. These are very gentle animals. In the house there should always be a first-aid kit with all the necessary first-aid drugs. Find out in advance where ferret specialists are located in the area where you live. Their phones should always be at hand. You must have a passport for your pet.
Be sure and on time to give vaccinations to ferrets. They are in the same way received by a dog and a cat. Sometimes, after vaccinations, the ferret has a strong allergic reaction. It can lead to death if the necessary help is not provided on time. So, after vaccination, the owner should sit with his animal for an hour or two in a veterinary hospital.
This amazing animal becomes a great friend only if you give him all your love and focus all his attention on his upbringing. You can always look at him and smile. If you have enough strength, desire and time to educate your favorite ferret, then from the well-known phrase “rather troublesome, difficult to educate and funny animal” you can describe the fluffy with one epithet “funny”. He will bring you only joyful and happy moments!