Ferret Keeping Equipment
With the advent of an unusual pet in the house – a ferret (ferret), the owners face the question of how to ensure comfort and safety. There is nothing complicated in this, if you correctly approach the equipment of housing, taking into account the natural characteristics of the animal. The ferret is a burrowing animal. Therefore, he is very attracted to any holes, crevices, as well as flower pots in which he likes to dig. It is important for owners to properly prepare a home before buying an animal.
It is necessary to ensure the safe maintenance of the ferret, since regardless of whether the animal lives in a cage, on the balcony or moves freely around the apartment, it can be in danger. Owners should be aware of the basic rules for safe keeping:
1. Without supervision, the ferret should not be allowed to walk on the unglazed balcony, left on the windowsill with the window open. These animals have poor eyesight (they are shortsighted), as a result of which they don’t feel the danger of height, they can fall from the balcony and die.
2. It is necessary to limit the pet’s access to holes, crevices, where it can penetrate due to its physiological characteristics. This ventilation vents, and household appliances (their doors must always be tightly closed), and free spaces under the furniture and behind it.
3. Folding mechanisms of beds, sofas, armchairs, where the pet may be jammed, are of great danger.
4. Soft plastic, rubber and rubber. Many interior items are made from these materials, which are very attractive to the ferret. Swallowed pieces of such products lead to blockage of the intestines of animals, as well as poisoning. Therefore, it is better to protect the animal from the temptation to gnaw these materials.
5. "Caches" of the pet. The owners need to be prepared for the fact that the ferret in the apartment will hide food in various places: under heating radiators, cabinets and armchairs – in the most secluded corners. Since this is a natural instinct, it is pointless to wean animals; therefore, it is necessary to regularly clean caches.
6. Indoor plants. It is better to hang them in flower pots or on the walls of the apartment. Ferrets really like to delve into the flower soil, after which the plants die.
Ferret is a social, active animal, likes to play. And although today many people prefer the free home maintenance of ferrets, dispensing with the minimum number of accessories, experts still recommend equipping the cage for the animal. First of all, for its own safety during the absence of owners.
Place for the cage
You can install the cage both directly in the apartment, and on a closed balcony or open loggia. In the presence of a warm shelter, the ferret even in severe frosts can be outdoors.
Do not install the cell:
- Near heating appliances, gas or electric stoves.
- In direct sunlight.
- In the draft.
The internal structure of the cell
Drinking bowl, tray, feeder. these accessories must be present inside the cage. They have one important requirement – sustainability. Otherwise, the animal will constantly move them or overturn them.
The simplest solution is to use a ball-fed drinker, which you can fix on the edge of the cage. It is also recommended to use a heavy ceramic bowl – the ferret will gladly flounder in the water.
For ferrets, you can choose a dog or cat feeder, or a heavy bowl. It should be stable and comfortable. Do not place the feeder flush with the tray for hygiene reasons.
The tray must be filled with filler – you can use feline – preferably on a gel basis. It does not contain dust particles that can cause irritation of the respiratory tract, absorbs moisture well and does not cause allergies. Unlike clay and sawdust, which are forbidden to use. You can also choose a filler based on crushed corn – it is notable for its high cost, but it copes with the absorption of unpleasant odors better than others.
You need to clean and wash the tray at intervals of 3 days.
In the wild, ferrets sleep in shelters: dark minks, dry and warm. Therefore, it is necessary to provide for the presence of something similar in the cage in order to avoid nervous exhaustion of the pet.
As an alternative, you can consider wicker baskets from natural twigs of deciduous trees that are not varnished, or shoe boxes that are better unpainted.
The house also needs to be properly equipped so that the pet is comfortable there. Inside, place a fabric of wool or cotton, and use large shavings of deciduous trees as a litter. Sawdust or paper should not be used for this purpose.
It is better to insulate the house if it is supposed to keep the ferret on an open loggia. If the ferret lives freely in the apartment, a shelter will also be needed – only it will need to be installed in a quiet and warm place.
In addition, it is worth taking care of a hammock, which ferrets often use as a sleeping place.