How Many Years Ferrets Live – At Home And In The Wild
Like most rodents in the wild, ferrets are able to live 4-5 years. Their whole life lies in the fact that they are constantly in search of food and hide from larger predators. A similar principle of life wears out the organism of the animal, and therefore 5 years for wild ferrets is the maximum. But what will happen to the animal if it grows at home, where a person provides him with all the necessary conditions for a carefree life?
Looking ahead, it is worth noting that in captivity the animal is able to live much longer. And as if environmentalists did not argue that the animal kingdom is necessary for a fretka, at home, nevertheless, they feel much better. And this is influenced by a number of factors.
How long does the ferret live at home and what is the reason
On average, a pet in a cage or aviary is able to survive to the level of 9 years. For a rodent, this is a long time. Such a life expectancy is able to provide 5 main factors.
- The animal eats ready-made food, which greatly reduces the burden on the digestive system, and therefore most of the energy spent on digesting food now goes to the work of the body’s protective functions. The ferret gets stronger and stronger.
- Living conditions are also affected by living conditions. In the house or apartment there are significantly fewer viruses and bacteria that can provoke a variety of diseases. The ferret is less likely to get sick, but if the animal gets sick, they will immediately begin to treat it with ointments, tablets and injections, which can put the pet on its feet for a week. In the wild, the animal independently fights against ailments, which takes a lot of strength and energy.
- Vitamin supplements. In the forest or the steppe, the ferret itself obtains food and receives all the necessary micro and macro elements, but they are often not enough (especially in winter) for the normal functioning of the body, and the animal weakens. The owner can add vitamin supplements to the feed at any time, and the animal will not feel the lack of certain elements.
- Nature makes the ferret constantly mate and breed, which takes a lot of energy, especially for females. A domestic sterilized animal does not have a need and tendency to reproduce, which allows not to waste nutrients on offspring.
- The wild ferret constantly has to spend energy on digging minks, searching for food and avoiding enemies. Such actions greatly wear out the muscles and heart of the animal, due to which the lifespan of the ferret in nature is greatly underestimated. In an apartment or in a private house, there is no need for these actions, because the pet is able to live much longer.
Interesting fact! Under ideal conditions of keeping and feeding, a pet can live up to 12 years, which is even a big mark for larger animals. But this will depend only on the owner of the ferret and his care.
As it has already become clear, ferrets live much longer at home, but why do these numbers differ for different owners of the ferret. The fault is the conditions of detention.
Whose ferret lives longer
Captivity bondage – discord and life expectancy are directly affected by the conditions in which the owner of ferrets contains animals. Providing ideal conditions is difficult enough, but we will try.
The average life expectancy is 5 years in the wild, but we can extend it by fulfilling all the necessary conditions.
- Care should start from sterilization of the ferret, if you are not going to breed a large number of furry pets (5 months to life).
- Further it is necessary to vaccinate the animal in order to strengthen all the protective functions of the body. Vaccinations are given at a young age, up to 3 months (12 months).
- Maintenance in suitable conditions: no drafts, high humidity and sudden changes in temperature (6 months).
- Food should consist entirely of finished feed. Usually feed for young kittens is used. They have all the necessary vitamins and minerals for the normal development of the ferret (13 months).
- The animal needs regular examinations at the veterinarian, as well as preventive vaccinations and feed additives. The less time a ferret spends on diseases, the longer he can live (12 months).
- Keep your animal away from stressful situations. It is about contact with other larger pets – cats, dogs (6 months).
- Hygiene also affects the life span. Regularly clean aviaries and cells, change water and food, so that viruses and bacteria do not enter the body of the ferret from the outside (6 months).
Adhering to all these points, your ferret will please you for at least 9 years, or even much more. The only natural factor that a person cannot influence is heredity. These can be chronic diseases or other pathological abnormalities that will not allow the ferret to live much.
Definitely, at home, the ferret is able to live much longer and for a number of reasons. Ferret content – you can’t call a hobby because of a number of requirements. In order for the ferret to live longer than its wild relative, it is necessary to correctly compose a diet, surround the animal with care and affection, and regularly walk with the animal.