How To Make A Hammock With Your Own Hands For A Guinea Pig And For A Ferret With Video
Fans of pets will benefit from a master class on how to make a hammock with your own hands. Most pets will appreciate the craft, as a hammock will provide an opportunity to sit comfortably for sleep and will become a good place for games.
The word "hammock" in most people is associated with relaxation and lazy rest. Such associations arise due to the fact that the suspended hammock takes the form of a body, which means that you can take the most comfortable position and relax. So pets love to hang and sleep in hammocks, because for them it is the most comfortable place to sleep.
Place to relax
Making a hammock for a cat, chinchilla, rat, mumps or for degu do it yourself is quite simple. But before starting work, it is worth considering some features of each animal, and most importantly – why they need a hammock.
The most comfortable place to sleep for a cat is soft and safe. Domestic feline representatives like to sleep on armchairs, on pillows, on warm and soft things. At the same time, cats choose places for rest and sleep, usually narrow and dark. That is why a hammock can be an ideal place to relax, especially if you place it in "secret" and warm places: under a chair, by the battery, in the corners of the room.
A simple hammock for a cat can be made from the following materials:
- Velcro or ribbon for fastening;
- sewing machine;
- soft pencil;
- threads and needles.
How to do:
- Cut from the felt to the desired size a bench in a square or rectangular shape;
- Try on the tape along the edges of the felt, leave large loops at the ends;
- Sweep the edge of the decorative tape covering the edges (for convenience, you can press the tape with stationery clips);
- Sew the tape to the felt using a typewriter;
- Cut the loops in the corners, solder the edges with a lighter and sew Velcro on them;
- Fix the finished hammock in the right place.
It is convenient to place such a hammock under a chair – no one will disturb the cat there.
You can also use other mounts depending on the location of the hammock. It can be rivets, carbines, rings, hooks, etc.
Here are some more ideas for cat hammocks:
Also, for your pet, you can try to design a hammock chair like a real one. It can be made in different ways – sewn from fabric, woven from a rope or made using a frame. Such a hammock will surely appeal not only to the cat, but also to its owner.
Ferrets also like to climb in hammocks and sleep there. For the ferret, you can make a multi-level hammock, which the animal can use not only for sleep, but also for games. To do this, you will need fabric, a sewing machine, needles, threads and ribbons or strong ribbons.
The fabric must be selected taking into account the weight and nature of the animal. The hammock, like the fasteners, must support the weight of the ferret, and also be strong enough for his teeth (several layers of fabric can be stitched). Of course, the choice is best made towards natural fabrics and materials (cotton, felt, wool, etc.).
A hammock is proposed to be made according to one of the patterns of patterns below:
For a chinchilla, you can sew a hammock in the form of a pipe from old jeans. This model can be hung under the ceiling of the cage. To make a hammock, you need to prepare:
- old jeans or denim;
- thread and needle;
- eyelets (4 pcs.);
- carabiners or other mount.
In order for the hammock to be dense and durable, you need two cloths of a size of about 100 × 30 cm. They must be folded with the wrong sides inward and, if necessary, fastened with pins.
How to sew a hammock:
- Fold the double fabric in half, bast and sew the edges together on a typewriter or manually to make a pipe;
- To process edges with a tape in a circle on each side;
- Cut round holes and insert eyelets;
- Having hooked up the holes with carabiners or passing the ribbons through them, hang the hammock in the cage.
For a multi-level hammock, each level is separately cut out and processed. Several pieces of rectangular or square shape are sewn together. Ribbons must be sewn to the corners. Small carabiners can be attached to the ends of each ribbon for convenient fixation of the hammock in the cage.
Similarly, you can design a denim hammock for rats in just a few minutes. All you need is old jeans, scissors and metal clips.
How to do:
- Measure from the edge of the leg 20-25 cm and mark with a line;
- Cut off a piece of fabric along the line (the pipe should turn out);
- Puncture with staples in the corners one layer of fabric and put on them 2-3 more staples;
- Hang the hammock in the cage.
The result is a two-tiered hammock in which a rat can hide.
And here are some more models of rat hammocks:
Guinea pigs, as a rule, live in companies, so it is better for them to make a spacious or multi-level hammock. It should be borne in mind that it is necessary to hang a hammock for a guinea pig at a low level so that it can comfortably climb into it with its short legs and can not fall from a height. For the same reason, it is better to place it horizontally rather than hanging it.
Here are some examples of pig hammocks: