Reasons Why A Ferret Might Lose Its Tail
In the second half of the 20th century, a ferret was added to the main pets. These cute, nimble animals living with people are becoming more and more. But many owners do not think that keeping wild animals in captivity is fraught with difficulties. One of them is baldness of the tail.
Noticing the partial loss of hair, the owners cannot understand why the ferret has a bald tail, attributing it to molting.
Animals are susceptible to many diseases causing hair loss and ferrets are no exception. Therefore, you must definitely understand the causes of baldness.
The importance of a balanced diet for animals
The physiological structural features of the digestive tract of the ferret are specific, because of which it is impossible to contain it like a cat or dog.
- They should eat at least 7-8 times a day.
- Their body needs to get about 75-80% protein, 15-18% fat and some carbohydrates with plant fibers.
- For high-quality fur, the level of fatty acids in the diet of the animal must be high.
Even a small failure of the diet can lead to weakening of the body, hair loss. Therefore, if the animal eats only natural products and its tail baldness begins, then it is necessary to review its nutrition, or 2 times a year to course soldering with specially developed vitamin supplements:
- "Skin and coat ferret food supplement", the composition includes fatty acids, as well as 7 vitamins. It is added to the food of the animal for about 2 weeks. The amount of vitamin depends on the age of the animal and its gender.
- "FerretVite" vitamin paste containing 12 vitamins, 4 minerals, fatty acids. It is added to food 1 tsp per 1 kg of animal weight during seasonal molting, as well as periods of rehabilitation after childbirth and illness.
Another natural reason why ferrets are balding on their sides and tail is molting. This is a problem that the breeder can handle on his own. Ferrets are molted 2 times a year. Spring falls in late February – early March, and winter in November. The rest of the time there are no links in animals.
It is not difficult to notice the onset of molting. Ferrets become restless, itch a lot. First of all, the coat begins to crawl out on the tail, then on the sides and stomach. If the animal is provided with a full-fledged diet enriched with the necessary vitamins, then the change of fur is quick, without causing problems to the animal.
When the ferret lives in the house, the owners can help him get rid of the old fur by combing and trimming. This must also be done so that the animal does not have a stomach clogging as a result of the ingestion of a large amount of hair.
During molting, the animal’s body becomes weakened. To maintain normal activity, he needs to add vitamins to his food
- Trivit or Tetravit are known vitamins, they must be added to food in strict accordance with the instructions. Exceeding the dosage can lead to poisoning or death of the animal.
- Feed additive SA-37 is a multivitamin complex, can be used as an additive to the diet of animals throughout the year. The amount of the drug depends on the reasons why it is administered.
In addition, tail baldness in males during the summer heat is considered natural. This is one of the methods of thermoregulation, therefore it is completely independent of the animal’s health.
One of the reasons why a healthy ferret has hair loss or a balding tail is stressful.
It can cause it in an animal:
- hormonal disbalance;
- change of diet;
- change of residence;
- lack of a dark place in the cell;
- past illness or surgery.
Ferrets are very emotional, so any violation of their usual lifestyle can lead them to great excitement. It is important to monitor the behavior of animals and in case of loss of appetite, the appearance of aggression, disruption of the digestive tract, as well as other deviations, try to give the animal more attention than usual. In the absence of side effects, drug intervention is not required.
Tail Loss Diseases
Greasy pores can cause hair loss. There can be many reasons: from hormonal changes in an individual during estrus to elementary uncleanliness of an animal.
The ferret can be helped through a hygiene course.
- wash with household soap that does not contain fragrances and bleach additives;
- process with a scrub. To do this, mix 100 g of ground almonds with 250 g of oatmeal and dilute the resulting composition with thick sour cream. Apply to the animal, rub and do not rinse for 5-10 minutes, so that the composition is absorbed. Then rinse with warm water;
- Shustrik shampoo, which is produced for ferrets and contains lanolin, as well as extracts of medicinal plants, helps well in this situation.
Clogging of pores can be determined by the appearance of scabs with a reddish tinge on the tail.
Parasites cause great problems to animals, often being one of the causes of hair loss.
Sarcoptosis is caused by a tick-borne tick and has characteristic signs:
- constant scratching of the animal, due to persistent itching;
- allergic red spots and flaky skin throughout the body;
- progressive hair loss, which usually begins with the tail and goes to the sides.
For analysis, scraping is taken from the animal. Upon confirmation of the diagnosis, course treatment is carried out. For this, the veterinarian introduces Ivermectin to him with a time interval of 2 weeks and prescribes special drops at the withers. Timely access to a doctor is the guarantor of a complete and quick recovery of an individual.
If the animal receives a balanced diet, vitamin and mineral supplements and it cannot have seasonal molting, then the balding tail of the animal should be an alarm for the breeder and an occasion to visit the veterinarian.
The most common disease in this animal species is adrenal dysfunction. The causes of the disease are many:
- genetic predisposition of the animal;
- sterilization at an early age;
- hormonal failure of the endocrine system;
- unbalanced nutrition;
- improper lighting.
The first sign of the disease is tail baldness, which then spreads over the body, but does not go over to the head and legs. In addition, with the development of the disease, muscle atrophy appears, itching, the skin becomes thin.
Treatment depends on the stage of the disease and can be both therapeutic and surgical. The outlook for the recovery of the animal is positive.
Ferrets are those animals in which almost any changes in the environment and the work of internal organs cause baldness of the tail. Therefore, the doctor should be consulted only after the hair on the tail of the animal is missing for more than a month. In other cases, with proper care and nutrition, this animal is able to independently cope with its problems.